You are viewing the early beta version of the Personnel Department's new website.
Learn More

civil service commission

The Board of Civil Service Commissioners is a City Charter created body of five members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Council.

Appeal from suspension/ discharge

When a tenured Civil Service employee is disciplined by a Suspension of Six (6) working days up to and including Discharge, that employee or their representative may file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission within five (5) calendar days of service as follows.

Complete and sign an Appeal from Suspension / Discharge form.

appeal from suspension form appeal from discharge form

Submit the completed and signed appeal form along with a scan or photo of both sides of the General Form 77 detailing the discipline imposed against the employee and the date the document was served in an email to the Commission Executive Director at or by fax to 213-473-9110.  Due to the on-going health emergency, the office of the Civil Service Commission is closed.

Because of the limited five (5) calendar days permitted to file an appeal under the City Charter it is NOT recommended that appeals be mailed to the Commission.